Company and Opportunity
Legacy.com is the place where life stories live on. We are the leader in online obituaries; a top-50 website in the United States, and a destination for over 40 million unique visitors each month. Founded in 1998, Legacy.com is honored to help consumers express condolences, share direct support for families, and celebrate the people who have touched their lives. We continue to broaden our offerings in our mission to help people seeking information and guidance on all aspects of end-of-life. Our leadership is actively investing in the growth of the organization, expanding our business model and helping more people as our culture’s relationship with end-of-life evolves. Our vision is to become a full-service end-of-life and memorialization resource.
The Director, Systems Engineering will be responsible for the overall maintenance of our Legacy.com datacenter hosting environments, including identifying areas for improvement. This includes managing the deployment, administration and monitoring of all Legacy.com hardware, software, networking and data security products, processes and policies. In addition, Director, Systems Engineering works closely with Engineering team leadership to ensure calm and steady collaboration around technical capacity for making product improvements, ongoing bi-directional support, and incident management.
- Develop and manage appropriate full-time and contracted staff for system administration, database administration, security and performance monitoring.
- Establish, negotiate and build relationships with vendors and contractors needed to meet the needs of the company.
- Assist with the development and delivery of internal continuous improvement plans.
- Maintain, implement and document policies and procedures regarding how to support Legacy infrastructure – including provisioning and automation of server build, patching and deployment processes, disaster recovery plans and monitoring.
- Champion change and effectively manage the implementation of new ideas and technologies.
- Troubleshoot and problem solve ongoing operational issues in all environments, escalating issues as necessary to the application owners.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to peers and team members.
- Flexible to work off-hours, as required.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly and efficiently pinpoint and resolve problematic system issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a desire to work with both developers and operations staff.
- Excellent project management, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong multi-tasking abilities and attention to detail to produce high quality of work.
- 6+ years’ experience in the infrastructure DevOps / System Administrator space, specifically relating to system administration, network administration, datacenter management and governance.
- Experience supporting critical infrastructure in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience managing full-time staff.
- Experience with cloud environments, AWS and Azure in particular, orchestration and container-based deployments.
- Experience with continuous delivery and building a path to achieving it.
- Extensive knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Exposure to Agile Development or the Scrum project management methodology a plus.
Legacy.com offers a very generous and comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401k plan with discretionary employer match
- Parking/Transit Flex Spending
- RTA and CTA pre-tax payroll deductions
- Catered lunch provided 2x per week, breakfast 1x a week
- Employee Assistance Program
- Casual dress every day
- Daily, company-provided coffee, tea, soda, and snacks
- Friendly, team-oriented, open environment
- Located within a few blocks of CTA, Ogilvie, and Union Station