Company and Opportunity
Legacy.com is the place where life stories live on. We are the global leader in online memorial tributes, a top-50 website in the United States, and a destination for over 40 million unique visitors each month. Founded in 1998, Legacy.com is honored to help consumers express condolences, share direct support for families, and celebrate the people who have touched their lives. Uniquely open to profound messaging at this focused moment, users respond by sharing memories, purchasing gifts, finding event information, and making plans. Legacy delivers its community-targeted content daily via 1,500 local news media partners. We continue to broaden our offerings in our mission to help people seeking information and guidance on all aspects of end-of-life. Our vision is to become a full-service end-of-life and memorialization resource.
We have a diverse and talented team of employees who come to us from many kinds of backgrounds. We have an immediate need for an Associate Support Engineer for our new Downtown Chicago office to report to our Director of Platform Operations.
See our new Chicago HQ: https://www.builtinchicago.org/2019/06/06/legacycom-new-chicago-office
The Associate Support Engineer is part of the Platform Operations team at Legacy.com. The mission of the Platform Operations team is to support existing partners on the Legacy.com platform and assist in onboarding and launching new partners.
This is a hands-on, individual contributor role that will require working on a cross-functional, skill-focused team. Associate Support Engineers assist the Technology, Channel Partners and Customer Support teams through a combination of a technical understanding of the Legacy.com platform and an organized and disciplined approach to helping partners operate on that platform. Using a combination of internal tools, consumer-facing applications developed in-house, commercial and Open Source software, this position is both an operator of the technology platform and a provider of internal technical support. The Associate Support Engineer plays a key role in the internal adoption of technology solutions throughout the company by developing ongoing documentation, creating processes,
The ideal candidate has experience along the following dimensions:
- Technical Support / Operate internal tools and applications to complete day-to-day platform operational tasks. Assist in technical support of problem resolution or product implementation for all Legacy.com applications (both third-party applications and those developed internally).
- Project and Task Management / Experience working on multiple tasks for disparate stakeholders against short and overlapping timelines.
- Collaboration and Teamwork / Comfortable working with a broad cross-section of the business, including the channel partners team, customer support, and software engineering. Maintain, implement and document information, policies and procedures for supporting applications.
- Performance Monitoring and Troubleshooting / Able to reproduce reported issues and methodically work through them to resolution or escalation to development teams. Troubleshoot and problem solve ongoing operational issues in all environments, escalating issues as necessary to the application owners.
- Service Level Agreements / Comfortable working against KPIs to meet service level agreements with the business and clients/partners.
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal). Highly self-motivated, self-directed, resourceful, and autonomous. Comfortable working in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly and efficiently pinpoint and resolve problematic system issues.
- Experience and understanding of how modern web applications are developed and deployed in distributed cloud-based platforms.
- Experience working with content management systems, understanding monitoring tools and using ticket/task systems to keep work organized.
- Experience working with clients and partners in solutions development, project management and task execution.
- Experience writing and debugging basic scripting languages. Familiarity with Perl is a plus.
- Experience working with configuration to manage and troubleshoot data feeds, websites, and FTP files.
- 1-2+ years’ experience in Customer Support, Client Support or Operations.
- Experience supporting partners/customers in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with cloud environments, AWS and Azure in particular, orchestration and container-based deployments.
- Exposure to Agile Development or the Scrum project management methodology a plus.
- Exposure and understanding of scripting languages, Perl and Python, and automation practices a plus.
Legacy.com offers a very generous and comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401k plan with discretionary employer match
- Parking/Transit Flex Spending
- RTA and CTA pre-tax payroll deductions
- Catered lunch provided 2x per week, breakfast 1x a week
- Up to 2 weeks of paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Casual dress every day
- Daily, company-provided coffee, tea, soda, and snacks
- Friendly, team-oriented, open environment
- Located within a few blocks of CTA, Ogilvie, and Union Station